Mosquitoes: showers with cow urine
JAB
2024-03-21 01:41:20 UTC
Weird as it may look, Mundari and Dinka tribes of South Sudan take
showers with cow urine because they think it's antiseptic and frees
them from parasites and mosquitoes.

https://twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1770090099675435238
====================

"Mosquitoes were more attracted to people whose body odours contained
more carboxylic acids (likely produced by skin microbes), over those
with lower levels of carboxylic acids and elevated levels of
eucalyptol (potentially related to a person's diet)."

https://cosmosmagazine.com/health/scientists-discover-which-body-odours-mosquitoes-prefer/

Footnote - "The researchers were surprised by how effectively the
mosquitoes could locate and choose between potential human meals
within the huge arena."
Kerr-Mudd, John
2024-03-21 09:24:16 UTC
On Wed, 20 Mar 2024 20:41:20 -0500
Post by JAB
Weird as it may look, Mundari and Dinka tribes of South Sudan take
showers with cow urine because they think it's antiseptic and frees
them from parasites and mosquitoes.
https://twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1770090099675435238
====================
"Mosquitoes were more attracted to people whose body odours contained
more carboxylic acids (likely produced by skin microbes), over those
with lower levels of carboxylic acids and elevated levels of
eucalyptol (potentially related to a person's diet)."
https://cosmosmagazine.com/health/scientists-discover-which-body-odours-mosquitoes-prefer/
Footnote - "The researchers were surprised by how effectively the
mosquitoes could locate and choose between potential human meals
within the huge arena."
They go for me every time; I must smell yummy. But I'm reluctant to source
cow urine. (There are probably scammers out there passing off dog pee).
Bah, and indeed Humbug.
Johanne Fairchild
Interesting. What kind of food contains eucalyptol?
JAB
2024-03-23 02:54:33 UTC
https://www.acs.org/molecule-of-the-week/archive/e/eucalyptol.html
Johanne Fairchild
2024-03-23 09:30:43 UTC
Post by Johanne Fairchild
What kind of food contains eucalyptol?
https://www.acs.org/molecule-of-the-week/archive/e/eucalyptol.html
Bay leaves and rosemary. I have those around here. I can sort of test
that a bit now. Thanks!
JAB
2024-03-23 14:32:58 UTC
On Sat, 23 Mar 2024 06:30:43 -0300, Johanne Fairchild
Post by Johanne Fairchild
Bay leaves and rosemary. I have those around here. I can sort of test
that a bit now. Thanks!
Oh bummer, they won't need you in a mosquito bite trail...

Human test subjects may no longer be needed for mosquito bite trials
thanks to invention of new biomaterial

https://www.frontiersin.org/news/2023/02/09/human-test-subjects-may-no-longer-be-needed-for-mosquito-bite-trials-thanks-to-invention-of-new-biomaterial/
Johanne Fairchild
2024-03-23 15:40:45 UTC
Post by Johanne Fairchild
Bay leaves and rosemary. I have those around here. I can sort of test
that a bit now. Thanks!
Oh bummer, they won't need you in a mosquito bite trail...
Human test subjects may no longer be needed for mosquito bite trials
thanks to invention of new biomaterial
https://www.frontiersin.org/news/2023/02/09/human-test-subjects-may-no-longer-be-needed-for-mosquito-bite-trials-thanks-to-invention-of-new-biomaterial/
Count me out of your lab.